Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Do Something, Anything

My husband and I watched "Slumdog Millionaire" last night. It was a good movie, but it was horrible to watch. I recommend it anyway, but be prepared to have your heart broken. After watching it I needed to process. My first reaction, in all my shallowness, was to want to never, ever go to India. In my humanness I wanted to get, and stay, as far from that human suffering as possible. Just typing that honesty of my own failings makes my eyes well up with tears and my heart with shame. Once I got past that innitial reaction I wanted to go there and do something, anything, to make a difference, to help. The problem there is that in this season of my life I can't. God has called me right now to make a difference in the lives of my husband, my child, and the people He has placed around me here. For a moment I felt powerless, but then I realized something wonderful. "The people He has placed around me here" includes my close friend Sarah who has been to India to help the children there and stays in touch with people who live there making a difference everyday. Even in staying here God has given me the means to make a difference on the other side of the world. Here is my challenge to you - join me. Let's reach into the "little" we have (which is callous and laughable when compared to the little they have) and give. I'm going to talk to Sarah to find out how best to do that and I'll post more information. If you are interested please get in touch with me by leaving a comment or, if you know me, by e-mailing or facebook messaging me. You can also go to WorldVision and do a search to sponsor a child in India. There are other organizations doing good work over there, but I don't know enough about them to know which are reputable and which aren't. Please, think it over, pray about it, research the conditions there, whatever you need to do, just do something.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...that movie was intense and amazing all at once. My heart broke too.

    ReplyDelete